Biomarker discovery is a key component of the personalized medicine puzzle. A Friday morning session at the Heart + Lung Health FEST Scientific Symposium will focus on some of the latest biomarker research in our community and the potential clinical implications.
Dr. Keith Walley, Director of the Centre for Heart Lung Innovation, will share his work on the use of biomarker assessment in the ICU as a way to predict the outcome of patients. Physiologic biomarkers such as respiratory rate, heart rate, and oxygen saturation are best predictors of a rapid physiologic event (crash) in the ICU. Predicting a patient’s response to treatment using molecular biomarkers is best accomplished using information relevant to the molecular pathway(s) that the treatment impacts. Dr. Walley will share more insights on different examples, including how PCSK9 inhibition may be a useful strategy to help clear pathogen lipid molecules and thereby improve outcomes in sepsis patients (read a recent publication on his work with PCSK9 here).
Dr. Don Sin, Head of Respiratory Medicine at Providence Health Care, will discuss the importance of biomarker discovery in Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD). He will touch on such issues as barriers to improving COPD care and outcomes, the role that biomarker discovery can play, and the potential of “omics” in bringing biomarker solutions to COPD. Dr. Sin’s research includes identifying biomarkers to help predict which patients are at high risk for COPD “lung attacks” and also to differentiate these attacks from other conditions. Read more about his work here.
Dr. Scott Tebbutt of the PROOF Centre of Excellence, will shed some light on new advances in technology platforms for biomarker translation and identify key assay performance characteristics that are essential for this process. With technology ever advancing, Dr. Tebbutt will discuss the strengths and challenges in new, high-performance molecular platform technologies.
The session takes place in the morning of Friday, March 27 and is part of the Heart + Lung Health FEST Scientific Symposium (March 26-27). For the full symposium agenda click here.
- Submit Your Poster Abstracts!
December 14, 2018
- Registration for FEST 2019 is Now OPEN!
November 14, 2018
- Registration for FEST 2017 is Now OPEN!
November 21, 2016
- Special Session! At the Nexus of Life Science Research in BC
January 26, 2016
- Leading computational biologist & genome scientist, Dr. John Quackenbush to deliver 2016 Alan Bernstein Distinguished Lecture
January 12, 2016
- Submit Your Poster Abstracts!
December 31, 2015
- Registration Is Now Open!
December 22, 2015
- Join us in 2016!
October 5, 2015
- Biomarkers for Heart + Lung Disease: Can they tailor care for clinical medicine?
March 13, 2015
- Dr. Christopher Zarins, Co-Founder & Senior VP Medical Affairs of Heartflow Inc. to present at FEST
March 10, 2015
- Special session on biomedical research in BC – The Future is Now!
February 24, 2015
- David Bates Lecturer, Prof. Bert Brunekreef to present on long term effects of air pollution
February 11, 2015
- Dr. Julio Montaner to present 2015 BC Distinguished Lecture
February 2, 2015
- Call for Poster Abstracts!
January 24, 2015
- Join us for Heart + Lung Health FEST 2015!
January 8, 2015
- Thank you for a successful Heart + Lung Health FEST 2014
February 21, 2014
- Scientific Symposium Day #1 complete!
February 7, 2014
- Take a break and get social!
January 28, 2014
- Submit your Poster Abstracts today!
January 24, 2014
- Deadline for Hotel Discount is January 17!
January 10, 2014
- FEST 2014 Promotional Video
January 9, 2014
- Happy New Year from your FEST organizing committee!
January 2, 2014
- Introducing the 2014 BC Lecture Recipient
August 14, 2013
- Hotel Reservations Available NOW!
August 6, 2013
- FEST 2014 – Check back soon!
July 10, 2013
- Congratulations 2013 Poster Session Winners!
March 27, 2013
- It’s a Wrap!
March 4, 2013
- FEST 2013 Embraces the Role of Nursing in Research
February 14, 2013
- 6 tips on how to make the most of your FEST experience!
February 6, 2013
- The 11th Annual Alan Bernstein Lecture with Dr. Prabhat Jha
January 28, 2013
- IBM Big Data Platform Speaker Announcement
January 11, 2013
- Poster Session Checklist
January 10, 2013
- For those seeking Poster Session inspiration!
January 7, 2013
- BC Lecture Recipient Announced!
August 6, 2012
- FEST 2013
June 19, 2012
- Congratulations to Dr. Bruce McManus!
April 30, 2012
- One mother’s story – Elaine Yong speaks about raising a baby post-transplant
March 29, 2012
- Spirometry at the Public Forum
- Dr. Nadia Khan speaks with clarity and concern at this year’s Public Forum
- A tradition of excellence continued by Dr. Sverre Vedal
March 20, 2012
- Dr. Iris Torchalla’s “The Science of Stopping Smoking”
- Let the FESTivities begin! With Dr. Harvey Fineberg
March 19, 2012
- 10 Reasons to Attend Heart + Lung FEST Scientific Symposium
February 28, 2012
- Public Forum MCs Announced!
February 20, 2012
- Last Call for Abstracts
February 17, 2012
- In the News: Dr. Sanjiv Gandhi
- Registration Open!
February 9, 2012
- Global BC’s Elaine Yong announced as Forum Speaker!
January 30, 2012
- Call for Abstracts – Trainee Posters
- Planning Your Vancouver FESTivities
January 27, 2012
- Deadline Fast Approaching, Book Now!
January 20, 2012
- Preliminary Program Now Available
January 19, 2012
- Speaker Announced for 2012 Alan Bernstein Distinguished Lecture