Clinical Psychologist Dr. Iris Torchalla was entertaining, articulate and engaging during the Highlighted Lecture she presented on Thursday, March 8th as a part of the Heart + Lung Health FEST. Joining us from CHÉOS (Centre for Health Evaluation & Outcome Sciences), Dr. Torchalla spoke to her audience about the physiological and psychological aspects of tobacco dependence. Although the lecture was titled, “The Science of Stopping Smoking”, Dr. Torchalla spoke in a way that was accessible to those with and without a background in science. One way that she accomplished this was by outlining the “5 As” (Ask, Advise, Assess, Assist, Arrange) and the “5 Rs” (Relevance, Risks, Rewards, Roadblocks, Repeat). The former is meant to be used when helping a smoker who is willing to quit, while the latter outlines ways to convince an unwilling individual to think about the consequences of smoking and the benefits that will come upon deciding to quit. The “5 As” and the “5Rs” are both tools that help to motivate smoking cessation by proposing intervention and presenting information.
- Submit Your Poster Abstracts!
December 14, 2018
- Registration for FEST 2019 is Now OPEN!
November 14, 2018
- Registration for FEST 2017 is Now OPEN!
November 21, 2016
- Special Session! At the Nexus of Life Science Research in BC
January 26, 2016
- Leading computational biologist & genome scientist, Dr. John Quackenbush to deliver 2016 Alan Bernstein Distinguished Lecture
January 12, 2016
- Submit Your Poster Abstracts!
December 31, 2015
- Registration Is Now Open!
December 22, 2015
- Join us in 2016!
October 5, 2015
- Biomarkers for Heart + Lung Disease: Can they tailor care for clinical medicine?
March 13, 2015
- Dr. Christopher Zarins, Co-Founder & Senior VP Medical Affairs of Heartflow Inc. to present at FEST
March 10, 2015
- Special session on biomedical research in BC – The Future is Now!
February 24, 2015
- David Bates Lecturer, Prof. Bert Brunekreef to present on long term effects of air pollution
February 11, 2015
- Dr. Julio Montaner to present 2015 BC Distinguished Lecture
February 2, 2015
- Call for Poster Abstracts!
January 24, 2015
- Join us for Heart + Lung Health FEST 2015!
January 8, 2015
- Thank you for a successful Heart + Lung Health FEST 2014
February 21, 2014
- Scientific Symposium Day #1 complete!
February 7, 2014
- Take a break and get social!
January 28, 2014
- Submit your Poster Abstracts today!
January 24, 2014
- Deadline for Hotel Discount is January 17!
January 10, 2014
- FEST 2014 Promotional Video
January 9, 2014
- Happy New Year from your FEST organizing committee!
January 2, 2014
- Introducing the 2014 BC Lecture Recipient
August 14, 2013
- Hotel Reservations Available NOW!
August 6, 2013
- FEST 2014 – Check back soon!
July 10, 2013
- Congratulations 2013 Poster Session Winners!
March 27, 2013
- It’s a Wrap!
March 4, 2013
- FEST 2013 Embraces the Role of Nursing in Research
February 14, 2013
- 6 tips on how to make the most of your FEST experience!
February 6, 2013
- The 11th Annual Alan Bernstein Lecture with Dr. Prabhat Jha
January 28, 2013
- IBM Big Data Platform Speaker Announcement
January 11, 2013
- Poster Session Checklist
January 10, 2013
- For those seeking Poster Session inspiration!
January 7, 2013
- BC Lecture Recipient Announced!
August 6, 2012
- FEST 2013
June 19, 2012
- Congratulations to Dr. Bruce McManus!
April 30, 2012
- One mother’s story – Elaine Yong speaks about raising a baby post-transplant
March 29, 2012
- Spirometry at the Public Forum
- Dr. Nadia Khan speaks with clarity and concern at this year’s Public Forum
- A tradition of excellence continued by Dr. Sverre Vedal
March 20, 2012
- Dr. Iris Torchalla’s “The Science of Stopping Smoking”
- Let the FESTivities begin! With Dr. Harvey Fineberg
March 19, 2012
- 10 Reasons to Attend Heart + Lung FEST Scientific Symposium
February 28, 2012
- Public Forum MCs Announced!
February 20, 2012
- Last Call for Abstracts
February 17, 2012
- In the News: Dr. Sanjiv Gandhi
- Registration Open!
February 9, 2012
- Global BC’s Elaine Yong announced as Forum Speaker!
January 30, 2012
- Call for Abstracts – Trainee Posters
- Planning Your Vancouver FESTivities
January 27, 2012
- Deadline Fast Approaching, Book Now!
January 20, 2012
- Preliminary Program Now Available
January 19, 2012
- Speaker Announced for 2012 Alan Bernstein Distinguished Lecture